Blue Sulphur Springs
The Greenbrier County Historical Society chose Mills Group to conduct an existing conditions assessment, describe the written and architectural history of the Blue Sulphur Springs pavilion and offer a plan for its stabilization and reuse.
Constructed ca. 1836, the Blue Sulphur Springs Pavilion was the centerpiece of a health resort along Kitchen Creek in Greenbrier County, (West) Virginia. Although it was regarded as superior to the other springs in Western Virginia in terms of comfort and beauty, the resort was also not as fashionable as the White Sulphur Springs located 26 miles to the east. As a result of the declining popularity of the resort and nationwide economic instability, the property was transferred into the hands of gentlemen who created Allegheny College, a seminary for Baptist students in 1859. With the outbreak of the Civil War, the college lost students and several structures as part of the resort was destroyed by fire in 1863. All that remained of the property was the Greek Revival inspired pavilion which continued to be enjoyed by picnickers throughout the 20th century.
In 2013, the Greenbrier County Historical Society acquired the property and with Mills Group’s help, established a plan to restore the structure. This plan includes reusing as much original material and incorporating interpretation of the pavilion’s history and restoration. The first step of the restoration is to stabilize the existing structure.
- Location: Blue Sulphur Springs, WV
- Client: Friends of the Blue/Greenbrier Historical Society
- Services: Existing Conditions Assessment, Construction Documents, Construction Administration
- Cost: N/A